Thursday, May 15, 2008

Nana

I've been thinking about these questions. I don't have answers for all of them (will have to do some thinking and come back and edit later!). But I thought I'd add the thoughts that come to my mind right away:

1. What is your funniest memory of Mom?
I don't know about funniest....but I have a lot of fun memories. I loved going to the ranch and riding the horse with Nana. Sometimes she'd let me ride the horse in the corral while they milked the cows. I loved it and would have been happy to ride forever I think....even just in the corral.
I'd have to say the nose blowing was pretty funny and rather memorable.
I remember also going to visit Nana with Allen. She had made popcorn and was sitting and eating it. She didn't want to get her hands greasy so she ate it with a spoon. She'd stick her tongue out and catch a popcorn kernel on her tongue. We laughed and laughed with her. She looked like a lizard catching flies. :0)

2. What lesson that she taught you stands out?
Well, of course the value of keeping a clean house stands out first. I often think of Nana when I see my sink full of dishes at the end of the day. Sometimes I just do them because I know she'd think I should (and sometimes I don't....but that's okay I guess). :0)
I also remember her telling me how important it was to not be wasteful. I remember how she could use a spatula to get a bowl totally clean. She told me that a wife can throw more out a window with a teaspoon than her husband can bring in the front door with a wheelbarrow.
Then there is the issue of home made bread. When Nana moved into the apartment in Lethbridge we were visiting one day and she offered me her Bosche mixer. I really cherish that mixer!

3. What is your favorite characteristic or personality trait about Mom?
I admired her for making a beautiful home. She was never one to sit around and let her house be a mess. She didn't seem to begrudge cleaning or homemaking, she just did it and did it well. These days a lot of people look down on that kind of work and I appreciate that she was an example of a good attitude about homemaking.

4. What do you see in yourself that came from her, physically or in your personality?
Did she have grey hair early? I sure do! I wonder who I got that from. lol

5. List as many things as possible that she has done for you.
Oh boy.....that's a list that I hardly know where to start on!

Dawn

No comments: