Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Tonsillectomies for Marvelle and Lester Ann

 


By Lester Ann Hyde Jensen

In the 1940s, doctors seemed to remove children’s tonsils routinely.  They did not consider whether or not the surgery was necessary, they just did it routinely.

Marvelle was eight and I was four.  Being the oldest, Marvelle was first.  Mom took her to the hospital in Brooks and turned her over to the doctors, then waited and worried while the surgery was done. 

When the operation was completed and she came out from under the anesthetic, the doctor reported to mother.  The operation was a success.  When he discovered Mom had waited and worried at the hospital, he said “There was no reason for you to wait all that time.  Everything was under control and you could have gone shopping or whatever while she was under our care. “

After a few days of pampering and lots of ice-cream, they were able to bring Marvelle home. 

Soon it was my turn.  Mom dropped me off and took advice the doctor gave after Marvelle’s experience.  She went shopping and after about the same time it took for Marvelle’s surgery, she returned to the hospital.  When she arrived, it seemed everyone was in panic mode.   

“Where have you been?” seemed to be the question of the day.  Doctors and nurses alike were asking and exclaiming. “We have been looking for you.  We ran into a complication and were not able to go through with her surgery.  We administered the anesthetic (which in those days, was ether) and she had an allergic reaction.  She stopped breathing and we have spent the whole time fighting for her life. 

They further explained it was extremely fortunate the doctor had seen this happen while serving in the military during World War II, and he knew what to do in order to save my life.

So, our very shaken and upset mother went home, and reported the whole episode to Dad.  During their prayers, that night, they sincerely thanked Heavenly Father for my life being spared, and I waited for my tonsils to be removed.  I was not a terribly healthy child and the source of my problems was my chronically infected tonsils and adenoids.  I waited until they had discovered a more effective and safer anesthetic.  I was twelve years old before that happened and it was my turn to spend a week in the hospital being pampered and treated with lots of ice cream.  As soon as my tonsils and adenoids were removed, I was a much healthier child.

However, there was one other issue resulting from eight years of being unable to breath through my nose.  The enlarged adenoids cut off the air way and I breathed through my mouth for all that time.  I never did learn how to  breath properly.     It affected my breathing while asleep, and to this day, I still wake up with a very dry mouth and for those lucky enough to sleep within hearing distance of my snoring, I sorry.    It also affected my ability to breath properly while participating in strenuous activities, like running or basketball.

I am, however, incredibly grateful for a good doctor who knew how to save my life.  Think of all I would have missed if he had not been there for me. 


 

No comments: