Friday, March 5, 2021

Getting Established As A Family And Some Changes (Part 2)

 At this time (1945), there were a lot of young people moving to Rosemary to farm. Well, I got the bug too. So, we sold our house and on April 1, 1945, I quit my job at Canadian Sugar, and we moved to Rosemary. With $1,000 and a lot of nerve, we started farming on a rented quarter section. You may call it brave, or just plain dumb, but this was the beginning of prosperity in Alberta. The war was just over, and prices started to climb, but land was cheap enough that for $5,000 you could set yourself up for farming. An improved quarter section sold for $2,000 and an unimproved quarter went for $1,000. Rosemary was a good community with a branch of the church there. 

So, we were ready to dive in and become farmers. Marvelle was five, Lester Ann had just had her first birthday, and Floy and I, well, mostly I was excited about the big step forward we were about to make. 

There was one thing I was worried about. My dad was sick, and he had cancer. When we moved to Rosemary, I knew it would be the last time I saw him alive. We left in April and he passed away on the 14th day of May, just two weeks before his 85th birthday. 

Many times, I had heard him say, in his joking way, “When I die, you will have to hire some mourners.” But at his funeral, the church was packed. Every kind of people were there: people he dealt with, friends, neighbors, colored, white, Lamanites, people from all walks of life.

After the funeral was over, the Executor read the will and the bills were all paid with just a few dollars left over. He had paid his bills to the last mile. 

And this, I would like to say to my descendants. Pay your bills to the last cent you owe. If you don’t this is just as bad as stealing. I say this to my family with love and sincerity. 

 GC Hyde

No comments: