Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Mother's First Train Ride by Marvelle Hyde Noble

 Mom said she first rode on a train when we lived in Rosemary. We went to Cardston to the temple. We were going to be sealed as a ‘Forever Family’. I was seven and Lester Ann was three years old. Our whole family caught the train in Rosemary and rode to Brooks. From Brooks, we rode to Medicine Hat where we changed trains. It was a mixed train that had booth passenger cars and cattle cars. It stopped in every town along the way. Horses. Cows, and chickens also rode on the train on their way to market. Every once in a while, we stopped for the trainmen to feed the animals. I can remember seeing men herd the horses and the cattle into corrals located at the side of the tracks so they could give them hay and water. Today, you can drive to Cardston on paved highways in about three hours. In Lethbridge, we stayed at the Marquis Hotel before we resumed our journey to Cardston. The hotel was about two blocks from the train station. When we got up the next morning, Dad left to do some errands and to see if he could see any of his old friends from the area. Mom got herself and us girls ready for the day.

When we were ready, Dad still had not returned so Mom decided we would go for a walk and do some window shopping. We were to catch the train at noon. It was about 9:30 so we had lots of time, or so we thought. Dad was going to pick up the luggage at the hotel and eventually “See that train out in the yard? It was supposed to leave five minutes ago for Cardston, but it’s still here. I don’t know what the holdup is.” 

Somehow, we had been given the wrong time. Dad was no where in sight. Mom panicked!

She sat Lester Ann down on a bench.

“Don’t move.” 

Remember, I am seven. Lester Ann is three. It was my job to make Lester Ann sit there while Mom went to find Dad. I held her hand tightly. She never moved.  

Finally, I could see Mom and Dad. They were running hard. Dad had the suitcase and he kind of three the tickets at the clerk. 

The clerk yelled, “Run! I think you can make it.” The train had just started to move forward again. “It will take a while for it to build up steam! 

People stood on the platform, watching in disbelief as we jumped off the platform and started to run. They urged us on. 

Dad put one suitcase under his arm and held the other by it’s handle. He then grabbed Lester Ann and tucked her under the arm that held the handle. She bobbed up and down like a sack of potatoes as he ran, headed for the slowly moving train. On the caboose platform at the end of the train, the conductor was waving, telling us to run as fast as we could. I tried to make sure my feet hit one of the ties every time they landed. I didn’t want to slip between them and fall. Dad was finally close enough to throw the bags to the conductor. He handed Lester Ann up and then swung on himself.

Mom and I were right behind Dad and just as he reached back to grab my hand my foot caught on the railroad ties. The strap on my beautiful new black patent leather shoe broke. Mom lifted me just as Dad reached down to gather me up. I was on the train!

We thought Mom would be right behind me, but she had gone back to pick up my shoe. The train was now moving faster and faster. Dad, Lester Ann, the conductor, and I stood on the platform and watched helplessly as Mom ran after the train. 

“Run faster!” Dad yelled. “You can make it.” He leaned over the railing and reached out to her. Now, if you know my Dad, you know he could get excited. And I think he was excited. “RUN FASTER!!” Mom was running as fast as she could but when he called to her, she spurted forward at an even faster pace and renewed effort. She was now close enough for Dad to reach down and lift her up and onto the moving train. 

Yeah! Yeah! She had made it. We were all laughing and crying all at one. 

I cannot remember much of what happened after that, other than the fact Mom sat in her seat for an awfully long time before she said anything. She was puffing just as loud as the train. I had no doubt she would make it. All she had to do was run faster.

Mom told the story quite differently. She claimed, as she ran, she thought she would never make it. She thought of all the that would happen if she missed the train. Her dream of us all being sealed was slipping away from her. She was convinced the train would leave without her. 

But Dad’s encouragement inspired in her an inner strength. She would make it. She would make it to the kingdom with her family. She knew the Lord lifted her up in her hour of need, up into Dad’s arms, into the circle of her family. She gave her all. She made it!

When she was finally aboard the train, she thought her heart would burst. The whole thing had almost been more than she could handle, but with Heavenly Father’s help she had been lifted up. 

We ALL made it to Cardston and were able to go to the temple and be sealed as a family. 


I don’t remember this experience. I was only three. But I love this story. I would suggest just one little change in Marvelle’s rendition. She could have referred to me as a rag doll, instead of a sack of potatoes - Lester Ann 

No comments: