Thursday, April 8, 2021

Shirley's Trip to Africa, Part 2

When you drive through the village or the big city of Accra, at every intersection at stop lights are buskers trying to sell anything from tools, to bras, honey or peanut butter and furniture.  I was looking at all the stuff they were selling.  Marvelle told me not to look at them.  If I do make eye contact with them, they will come over to the car expecting you to buy their wares.  They could attack the car.   It was hard for me to not look at them.  If Marvelle wanted popcorn or peanut butter, she knew where there was a guy who sold that.  If the guy didn’t have any he would tell us to come tomorrow and he would have some.  

While I was there, Clifford was sick.  He thought it was just the flu at first.   It was on his about the 6th  day he decided he should go to the hospital.  He went in and saw a doctor.  He told Clifford it was Malaria.  He gave Clifford a prescription for an antibiotic.  He had to go to the chemist to get prescription filled.  The chemist filled the prescription and passed the prescription paper back to Clifford.  Clifford told him he thought he should keep the paper.  The chemist told him he didn’t have space to file the prescription and Clifford may have to get it filled again, so Clifford should keep it.  

Clifford and Marvelle had lesson to teach prospective members. The had a fireside in their home.  We made cookies and had a drink of juice.   

One time Marvelle had gone to the School for the Deaf to rent their school bus for  the next Sunday to  go around and pick up members and non members  and bring them to church. Some people would walk up to 15 miles just to come to church.  It a was a stake conference time.  The Africans would get to  church on their own time. When there was enough people to start the meeting, then we would start.   When we went to check if the bus was coming, the lady at the school told us the Master was fired.  We would have to go see the a superintendent of the school.  We got directions to where the Superintendent was located.  So we went there.  The building was like an old movie studio of Bonaza time, with a second floor and a balcony all across the front.  We had to go up to the second floor where the superintendent was.  He had garden chairs for his visitors.  We went in and he ask us to sit.  He was quite snarky with a Marvelle.  He told her the bus had  gone to Accra and broke down.  He was waiting for parts to fix the bus.  This was a Monday or Tuesday.  He told us he would call her if the bus got back by Sunday.  Marvelle told him she would call him.  She felt he was just trying to get rid of us.  Marvelle gave him her business card.  On the card was a picture of Clifford and her.  The guy took her card and looked at it.  He ask her how did she get a picture on the card. She told him she printed it with her computer printer.  He ask if she could make him a card with his picture on it.  Marvelle told him to get her a picture he would like to use and she could print a card for him.  Boy his attitude changed and he told her the bus would be there by Sunday.  Marvelle called him on Saturday and the bus was ready for Sunday to go pick up the members and non members, whoever got on the bus.  

 

One day Marvelle had a notice in her post box that she had a parcel to pick up.  We had to go to another building to get the parcel.  We went to get the parcel and the guy there invited Marvelle to go behind the counter and hunt for her parcel .  The room was filled with parcels.  She didn’t know how big the parcel was or who it was from.  She looked at each parcel and finally found her parcel.  She found out it was a Christmas parcel from Cathy Greep Needham.  It was May.   It took 5 or 6 months  for the parcel to arrive.  We had a good laugh about it.  Christmas in July.

 

We would go to an international hotel to have a Western food meal.  I ordered a combo plate of roast beef, pork chop, and chicken, with American vegetables and mashed potatoes.  The Stake  President and his wife, the Mission President and his wife invited us to dinner one night at the restaurant. The dish I had was 65 cents in CDN dollars.  I had exchanged about $500 from USD to Cedi’s.  I was there for three weeks and I still had money left over.  Their paper bills were much larger than our dollar bills.  

 

Clifford’s mission job was to look after the younger missionaries and pay them.  He had to go to the bank and withdraw the stipends for  the missionaries, including their money.  He had to take a large bag the size of a gym bag to carry the money home. He was always cautious going into the bank, count the money and get back into the car and get home with the money.  He was afraid he would be robbed. He then had  to separate the money in envelopes for each missionary and their companions.  With the money they had to pay their rent and budget their food money for the month. They would run out of money before the time for more and they would call Clifford for more and Clifford had to tell them there was no more money.  They would have to wait till the new month.   

 

One night a  family members of  the church invited us to dinner.  I was very hesitant as to what they would have for dinner.  Was it going to be African food or American fare.  We went and the sister had fried chicken,  coleslaw and cassava.  The cassava looked like our mashed potatoes.  She had peeled the cassava and cubed it up like we do potatoes, boiled it in water and mashed it up like our mashed potatoes.  I tried it and it tasted between a potato and a yam.  It was good.  I ate it.  I was pleased with the dinner.  Africans use a lot of hot spices and hot pepper sauce on their meal so I was hesitant what the sister would serve us.   

It was so hot in Ghana: 53 - 60 degrees every day. It was so exhausting to go out in the heat of the day.  One day we went to the cocoa bean factory.  It consisted of big cooking tubs the size of a tractor tire over a fire in a pit in the ground. The ladies  sat close to the big cooking area and stirred  the cocoa beans till they cooked.  It was so hot around the big pots, I thought my camera was going to melt.  The ladies workers were quite used to the heat.  The ladies had their children at work.  The small babies and children would sit back from the hot pots of beans on a mat to sleep.  The mothers all nursed the children so when the baby would cry, mom was there to feed baby.  

It was such a great trip.  I’m glad I went when I did.  Later there was a war on the Eastern coast of Ghana and other countries.  Colleen did go about two weeks after I left.  It would be very unsafe to go there now.  

The time went by so fast.  Marvelle and Clifford took me back to Accra to catch my flight back to Amsterdam and then home to Calgary.  I had to leave Marvelle and Clifford.  There were tears  shed by both of us.  

When I left back to Amsterdam, I took a Tafalgar bus tour all around the circle of the country of Holland.  I called it Holland but now it is called The Netherlands.  My Great Grandfather Day come to America from Hukelem.  I made it to about 20 miles away from the village where he lived.  On the bus I was with about 30 travelers, so I had lots of other people to talk to.  In the morning, you had to be up early, get breakfast in my hotel and be on the bus by 8 am. We would have lunches on the bus, which was a sandwich, a piece of fruit and a drink.  Every evening we would stop at a different hotel and have supper and sleep, to start the next day by 8 am again for two weeks.  

We stopped one day at the village of the windmills.  I love windmills.  Whenever I drew a picture in my youth, it would have a windmill in the picture.  I went in the windmills and saw them  processing linseed oil.  There were lots shops to shop.  I bought a pair of updated wooden shoes.  The sole was wooden and the top part was red leather.  There was the photograph studio and they dressed me up in Dutch dresses,  a white hat and wooden shoes. They took my picture so I just had to buy a photo.  I bought two wheels of Gouda cheese. 

I went to Floriade, the festival of the flowers.  It was a big, big park with flowers all over the place.  I have never seen so many flower and walked so far to see them.  It was in Amsterdam.  One day we went to a factory of the flowers.  Flowers come in from the flower farms, are put  in big pots of water and shipped out  in big shipping containers within 24 hours to all over the world.  We went to a Diamond  factory where they were grinding and polishing diamonds.  I bought a small Diamond ring.  We were told not to go to a coffee shop, as they could sell and used marijuana there.  We visited the Van Gough Museum.  Outside the museum on the grounds there was a bunch of Chinese monks singing and  playing their instruments like flutes.  Their music was very guteral sounds.  They were fascinating to watch.  We visited the Village of the Minatures.  It was a replica of the capital city, with everything from the sky scrapers to the lake with a fire boat that would put out the fire on another boat in the lake.  It was fascinating to say the least.  I visited the village that make the blue and white delft pottery.  I bought many pieces of the delft.  I bought a cheap ring that had an oval stone in delft with a windmill in it.  When I got home I took it to a jewelry store and had a ring made with good gold and the deft stone mounted in the top of the ring,  

Every night you just fell into bed exhausted from all the walking and sight-seeing.  You had to be up early the next morning to get back on the bus.  One lady from US wanted to see the tulips growing in the field.  The guide on the bus one day said, ok everybody look out your window to the left, so we all looked out wondering what was coming up.  The guide said ok look there are your tulips in the field.  The field was black soil. Everybody was peering out our window.  It was a summer field.  The tulips had been harvested.  The lady from  USA wasn’t too pleased.  It was the wrong time of the year to see tulips in the field. 

At the end of my two week tour of Holland, I boarded my plane back to Calgary.  When I arrived home, it was well after midnight.  Because I had the two wheels of cheese in my luggage and I claimed them, I had to go through agriculture.  I went there and waited and waited.  I finally went back to the guy at customs and told him nobody was there.  He said he would X-ray my bag.  He did and found my two wheels of cheese.  He said to just go home.  

I went home and was exhausted from all my trip and all the walking I did.  After I got home, I had exchanged addresses with Charles.  We corresponded some.  He asked me if I would take Mavis to Canada and send her to school.  I wasn’t keen on that idea.  My kids were grown up  and to take on responsibility of another child 13 yrs old was just too much.  I had work to look after and I really didn’t have money for another teenager.  He wrote to me several times then got quite sharp with me.  I finally told him I was in a divorce and now living on my own in my house and would not look after Mavis.  She would have to get immigration papers in order for her to come to Canada.  He quit writing letters.  

That is my story of Africa and Holland. 

 

 

No comments: