Saturday, April 10, 2021

Blacksmithing and Life in Alberta

 


John had always admired an uncle who had a blacksmith business, so this could be the reason he took work in the sawmills as a blacksmith’s helper until the age of 25. When he finished there, he was a full-fledged blacksmith, and an exceptionally good one. He learned the trade well and even knew how to shoe an ox. In those days they were used in the bush and they had to have shoes on just like horses only they were two-piece shoes.


The photo above is the blacksmith shop and home of John’s Uncle, Levi Webster Hyde where John often spent his time as a boy. 

ohn opened his Blacksmith shop for business, and they settled into married life in Alberta.  In those days, a blacksmith shop was a pretty important necessity in the pioneer towns, and his shop was in the center of town.  It was a busy place (about 18 to 20 hours a day).  People called it the BEEHIVE. 

 

Later, there were two other blacksmith shops in town, both owned by men who had worked for my Dad and learned the trade from him.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My stepsister, Eliza was the first one in the family to marry.  She married George Atwood on 17 of August 1913.  I was born on Christmas day, 1914.  When I was four years old, my mother died about one month after giving birth to our baby sister, Nettie.  She left six children at home with two younger than me.  Johnny was two years old and the baby, Nettie, was one month.  Father was left with a young family and a blacksmith shop to look after.  It must have been hard for him.   

 

It was decided that George and Lyzzie would take me and baby Nettie.  We went to live with them and the next winter was 1918 – 1919, the wint Lyzzie would take me and baby Nettie.  We went to live with them and the next winter was 1918 – 1919, the winter of the worldwide flu epidemic.  It was said there were more lives lost due to influenza that winter than in the first world war.  My baby sister died that winter.  I do not know if it was the flue or just what it was that caused her death.   

 

Dad and the rest of the family lived together.  The eldest, Mary, was 12, and somehow, they cooked, did the housework, and looked after themselves.  After losing two wives in childbirth, Father must have been very discouraged.   

 

A person standing next to a tree

Description automatically generatedAfter the kids were married, including me, Johnny joined the army (1939).  This was shortly after I was married and Dad would come to our house quite often, usually in the evening for supper.  We loved it when he came, as he always sat and told stories.  By this time, he was 80 years old, and his stories were the same every time.  We got to know them well.   

 

Dad sure thought Marvelle was alright.  He would say, “No flies on that kid.  If there were, she would brush them off.” 

When we moved to Rosemary, I knew it would be the last time I would see him alive.   

A picture containing text, book, old

Description automatically generatedWe left in April, and he passed away on the 14th day of May 1945, just two weeks before his 85th birthday.   

 

Below:  Standing, left to right:  Clarence, Eliza, Mary, Ella, Harriet, and Jim, with       their father.   

I have heard him say many times, in his joking way, “When I die, you will have to hire some mourners.”  But at his funeral, the house was packed.  There was every kind of people there.  People he dealt with, friends, neighbours, relatives, colored and white people from all walks in life, including Lamanites.   

 

After the funeral was over, the Executor read the will and the bills were paid with just a few dollars left.  He had paid his bills to the last penny.   

 

And this I would like to say to all my descendants.  Pay your bills to the last cent you owe.  If you do not, this is just as bad as stealing. 

I say this to my family with love and sincerity.  

 

G.C. HYDE 

No comments: