Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Chanllenge for the rest of the Hyde Family

I have decided to re-join Toastmasters. I am a member of Highriser Toastmasters Club #1171. We meet every thursday evening at 7 pm for just one hour at the Bridgeland Community Hall in Bridgeland. Before I left Toastmasters in 2005 I had obtained my Competent Toastmasters Award by giving a total of ten speeches in my club. Then a certain man in my life took up my time on Thursday evenings, I am talking about my wonderful husband, Ardell. I felt that our courting needed more time than my Toastmasters Club did, so I dropped out of the club. Now I have decided to get back into it, because I enjoyed doing the speeches so much. The fellowship of the club members were such a nice ring of friends and fellow toastmasters who were striving for the same goals as myself. We have a small club of 7 to 9 members and are always looking for new members in our club. This year is going to be an exciting one, as the INTERNATIONAL convention is being held in Calgary, so to be able to volunteer for roles at the convention in August will be a lifetime opportunity. If any of the family --- and mainly Allen Ackroyd -- would like to compete with me at getting our ATM Bronze it would be most rewarding for yourself and your goals to speak with proper grammar, and not be nervous infront of an audience and speak with no ums or awes. If anyone of you would care to join our club on Thursday evenings ---- hint, hint --- Allen, please do so. For anyone else in the family that lives in Calgary, it would be most rewarding for you as well. Fees are only $50 for six months - a steal of a deal.
Allen and I competed together to get our Competent Toastmasters Award and I don't know when Allen got his, but my certificate hangs in my office wall and I got it on December 3, 2003. I think Allen beat me to that one. If any of the family would like to join us, I could mentor you along in your path to success. I would enjoy doing so. Just let me know. I think you all know my email address or phone number. Give me a call.

Shirley Wilson

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Allen loves Toastmasters...but evenings don't work for him, especially Thursday evenings. He did say, when I told him about your post, that he does want to do Toastmasters again some time though! He thinks it's great.