Monday, April 6, 2009

Our fun Weekend

On Saturday Paula called me and asked me to come and help her make cinnamon buns. I haven't made them for a while so I thought it would be fun for the kids to do. Well Christopher was quite interested. First of all, I said, we would put the yeast in some warm water with sugar to get it to rise. He wanted to know what was yeast? So I told him it made your bread dough rise, and we were going to start it in a small bowl on the table and he could sit and watch it rise. I used the fast rising yeast so it rose quite fast and got real big. Then I said we would mix it with some flour and let it rise again for an hour. So we did that, we mixed it with the 5 cups of flour and some lard and some water and some salt, and some sugar. We got it all mixed in together and made a big ball of dough and put a dish towel over the pan while it rose for an hour. When it was ready to knead down, I called Christopher and told him he had to wash his hand to punch down the bread. So he went and washed his hands and then he came to punch the bread. He really didn't think I was serious about punching it. So I showed him how to punch it a little and he wanted to do it. So I let him go to it. He kept saying" Bring it on bread!! Bring it on!! Well he had it flatter than a pancake. So then we took the ball of dough and rolled it out and slathered butter all over the rolled out dough. Then we spread brown sugar all over the circle of dough and then sprinkled cinnamon all over it. He was really interested on how we were going to make the cinnamon buns. When we got all the butter, sugar and cinnamon spread all over it, then I rolled it up and cut off the cinnamon buns. He was intreagued with the whole process. I told Paula from now on, she should have Christopher take out all his frustrations on some bread dough for her, when he needed to get rid of some steam, instead of punching another little boy.

Then we sent swimming for two hours and got back home and the buns had risen again and we baked the two cookie sheets of buns in the oven. As soon as they come out of the oven both Ashley and Christopher wanted one. So they ate one each. Then after they had their supper Ashley ate three more and wanted more. She thought they were so delicous.

It is amazing to watch the grandkids watch you do something they have never seen done before and be so interested in the making of Grandma's Cinnamon buns. We just had to tell the whole family about of experience. It turned out to be a fun day with the grandkids.

Shirley

No comments: